October 5, 2018:
July 27, 2018:
- New Membership Side Tab and Language and Culture standards added to Data Maintenance
- Further clarification on Active No Primary status added to Enrollment > Ending Cross-Enrollment > Active No Primary Students
- New standards on Proof of Residence, Proof of Age, Grades and Subgrades, and Parent/Guardian checkbox added to Enrollment > Registration > Enter Demographic Data
- Adjusting Course Credits standard added to School Settings > Selecting Courses for Use — District or School
- Data Maintenance updated with new standards for record and account management, and miscellaneous student information fields
- Homeschooled Students subgrade and inclusion records information added to Enrollment > Registration
- Programs information moved from School Settings to Student Records, and information added regarding pre-transition of SCCP students
- Enrollment > Registration > Alerts updated to reflect current ELL alert functionality
The MyEducation BC Standards Manual was created to safeguard student information within the MyEducation BC system, ensuring it remains consistent with Ministry policy and legislation, and enables school districts across the province to easily manage shared students. It outlines standards and procedures required for the management of student data, as well as key areas where district-specific decisions are required.
Recognizing the need for common data entry standards across the province, the Operations and Standards Committee (OSC) developed the Standards Manual. Initially driven by Ministry of Education policy, the manual has evolved as additional needs and updates have been identified. Originally a PDF document, the Standards Manual was first published in December, 2015 after approval by the Service Management Council, who has delegated the authority to update the manual to the OSC. Two annual editions of the Standards Manual in its PDF form were created before it was moved online to allow for increased flexibility and timeliness.
Operations and Standards Committee
The Operations and Standards Committee (OSC) is a standing advisory committee of the Service Management Council (SMC). OSC provides recommendations to the SMC Executive Committee and advice to the MyEducation BC team regarding the standardization of business practices, common operational procedures, schedules, security and privacy procedures, software configuration, and coding within MyEducation BC, and manages the MyEducation BC Standards Manual. Supported by staff at the Ministry of Education, OSC is led by a chair from the SMC Executive Committee and its members represent the diverse school districts across the province.
Updating the Manual
Updates to the Standards Manual are decided upon by the OSC, who meets weekly to discuss and review suggested changes from the field, those referred by other SMC committees, or updates identified as required due to system updates or policy changes. School district staff may submit suggestions to the OSC using the contact form.
This manual outlines standards and procedures required for the management of student data. Information has been categorized to make it easier to navigate and view. For questions, please contact us.
Protecting personal information of students and staff within MyEducation BC
- Protecting information
- Security roles
Processes regarding the admission, registration, cross-enrolment, withdrawal, and transfer of students
Collecting, storing, and reporting information on student performance
- Transcript records
- Permanent records
- Ministry reporting